enjoy!

enjoy!

Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Pickle and Sour Cream Twists Recipe..

Cold TODAY again!!
 The pickle is hidden on the tree..


Its been one of our traditions for a long time  and its always fun to glance over and see it their.
Sometimes I even forget where I hid it..
Julie loves it I even gave her one a couple of years ago.
to take home for her tree.
Here is a little story about the pickle.
The Pickle story started originally in Germany in 1890.
 It is made of green blown glass,
  Since my father was a glass blower but not German, He was Irish.
 My husband is German so I thought many years ago it fit our family.
I guess it can fit your family as well.

 The pickle is hidden in the tree and the first one to find it on Christmas is blessed with a year of good luck and an extra special gift.
I like that little special tradition.

 We have all our shopping for Christmas done Yahoo!! we don't have to buy much for gifts any more cash is the preferred gift now that everyone is grown up. Except of course our special girl and we all know who she is if you are a follower of mine.
Bill was in the hospital all week he went in Monday after a doctor visit and had to go right to the hospital he was very sick.

Robbie was over and she was like our caring angle with us as we didn't know what end was up at the time..
Thanks Robbie sorry your visit was cut short.
And thanks for all the wonderful gifts for Uncle Bill and I.
 The fruit was gone fast they devoured it LOL.
 Sally and Abbie  love the treats.





GERMAN SOUR CREAM TWISTS



3 1/2 c. flour

1 c. shortening

1 c. sour cream

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 pkg. yeast

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c. sugar - reserve

Mix flour and salt as for pie crust. Add yeast to sour cream to dissolve. Add eggs and vanilla and stir until well blended. Add to flour mixture. Mix well to a stiff dough. It will be sticky. Place in refrigerator well covered overnight.

Sprinkle sugar on pastry board in place of flour. Roll out to a large square about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with sugar, fold in three and roll again. Sprinkle with sugar once more and fold and roll. Do this 3 times, using 1 cup sugar
Repeat 3 times.
Cut into 1 inch line strips. Twist and make horse shoe,
 press ends.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Watch closely, will burn.


 Glaze with a mixture of powdered sugar and a little milk.


5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Diane - I love visiting your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look for a pickle for our tree - this recipe looks divine - I hoped everyone would enjoy the treats - we love you all xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Linda and Rob.I try to make it a little fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the pickle thing I will get one for my tree next year when I can get out. Glad Bill is home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget about the other "caring angels" in your life. STEVE has been with you and helping constantly through this whole affair!

    ReplyDelete