enjoy!

enjoy!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ma's Apple Slices


I  thought I would share an old recipe I got from my mother years ago.
Its one of our all time favorites.
 especially since its apple season at least here in Illinois it is.
 I know you will love them as much as we do.

Its kind of a gloomy rainy day and I have a lot of paint scraping to do on the railings on the back deck. I don't know why they didn't put vinyl ones!! so here we are stuck scraping and painting them every year now that the tree is gone I hopefully wont have to be doing that as often.


Moms Old Fashioned Apple Slices


3 lbs tart apples like granny smith
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 tesp salt
1/4 cup water
2 Talb corn starch
1 tesp cinnamon
1 cup water

Crust
2 cups flour
1/2 tesp salt
1 tesp lemon juice
1/2 tesp baking powder
3/4 cup crisco solid
2 egg yolks beaten

Glaze
powdered sugar just enough milk to make it  heavy creamy

Prepare Apples
Par and core apples cut into eights.
Bring water, sugar, cinnamon and salt to boil in medium sauce pan
  cook slowly 10 minutes. 
Add apples cook slowly another 5 minutes stirring gently.

For Crust
Cut shortening into flour
add to mix, egg yolks, lemon juice and water 3/to 4 Tablespoons full
mix lightly.
divide dough in half roll out on flowered board.
 place bottom layer of dough in 9/by 13 pan
add cooked apples
 place second layer of rolled out dough on top seal edges.
pierce top with fork to make air vents.
Bake 450 degrees for 20 minutes
than reduce heat to 350 for 30 minutes longer.

After removing from over allow to cool befor drizzling on glaze.  



3 comments:

  1. I bet the smell is divine and they taste delicious - tfs xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! It does! Im almost tempted to make it LOL notice I said almost.

    ReplyDelete